Present - Pollokshaws Heritage Group

Pollokshaws Heritage Group
Pollokshaws Heritage Group
Pollockshaws Coat of Arms
Pollokshaws Heritage Group
Go to content


Pollokshaws “The Present Day”

The Round Toll c1960'sChanges from the late 50’s are varied and many.

 The demise of hundreds of small shops was in some ways to change the social structure of Pollokshaws.At present Pollokshaws has a  large number of “Asylum Seekers” who seem to be fitting in quite well,  their integration is being encouraged by the use of Computers and  English lessons.

These shops mainly managed by the owners, who in some cases lived on the premised, were known to all their customers.

 The new “Shaws” with all it’s merits, i.e. good housing, many people  experiencing bathrooms and adequate accommodation, however, the new  build has come at great cost, over the years the fabric of the area has  been decimated (not too strong a word).

Worst of all in recent years has been the closure of the swimming baths and the relocation of the banks (now closed)
 The Salvation Army premises and the Old Mans Club fell into disrepair  both used by the senior citizens for meals and social occasions and are  now unused, one being privatised and the other demolished.

 Add to this the demolition of three churches, one cinema and four small  halls in other ways make the changes even more poignant.
 During the rebuilding era many of the residents were re-housed in South  Nitshill, they hoped to be returned to Pollokshaws, this to their  disappointment never happened.

Multi-Story LivingIt  is very hard to find any pluses in the “Present Day”  Pollokshaws, a very good library is about all that is worth mentioning  and now the School is about to be closed (as of March 2006)

 There are four licensed premises from the original nine. In the 1950’s a  very good restaurant and bar, The Pickwick opened but closed,  allegedly, for too many altercations.

 Two small industrial sites are all that remains of what was once a  wealthy centre of engineering skills and garment production. The last  employer of large numbers was D & H Cohen who had a workforce of  around 1000.

At present Pollokshaws has a  large number of “Asylum Seekers” who seem to be fitting in quite well,  their integration is being encouraged by the use of Computers and  English lessons.
Outdoor Pursuits
 Now in the private domain are Golf, Tennis and Bowls, Nether Poloc has  fine Football, Rugby and Hockey facilities, whereas public domain Bowls,  Tennis and Putting once available in Auldhouse Park were closed some  years ago.

 Sir John Stirling Maxwell Gardens still have a healthy number of  allotment holders and given by Sir John in the late 1800’s for the good  of the people of Pollokshaws to encourage them to produce their own  vegetable and promote a health life style.
 Shopping today is done at two super markets, nearby Shawlands is the  venue for various speciality shops but in our “Through Away” society the  need for small hardware, haberdashery and wool shops seem to be less in  evidence.

 We have to accept the change in society in Pollokshaws is in common  with Govan, Gorbals and other parts of Glasgow, which have been  refurbished. We at Pollokshaws Heritage look to the future and hope we  can help to make the “Shaws” more user friendly.      
The Heritage
Pollokshaws has some older buildings soon to be portrayed in a  “Heritage Trail” booklet, which sites twenty four places of historical  interest.
 Two worth a mention are the Burgh Hall and Eastwood Church, both gifted  by Sir John Maxwell. Benefactor of Pollokshaws they are monuments to  his generosity, as are parks, playing fields open spaces giving it a  Green Belt.

Pollok Country Park has the famous Burrel Collection. Presented to  Glasgow in 1944 by the millionaire ship owner Sir William Burrell, the  Burrel Collection amassed over some 80 years of his life and is as  outstanding in its wealth and diversity as the man himself. There are  some 3000 of the 8000 items on displayed at any time and are housed in  the specially constructed building which was opened in 1983.

Add to this Pollok House, managed by the National Trust for Scotland. This stately mansion, which stands in the middle of Pollok Park, was given  to the City of Glasgow by the then owner Mrs. Anne Maxwell  Macdonald, of the Maxwell dynasty, in 1966. Her family had owned  the estate for almost 700 years.

This heritage in itself has been a great inheritance to the area and people of Pollokshaws.
Going, Going Gone.
In  2008 some of the Multi-story Flats were demolished in Pollokshaws,  below is the event caught on camera by a local resident (sorry about the  colourful language)
The Pollokshaws Heritage Group is funded by donations

If you have enjoyed your visit, please consider donating
to help us keep this resource going, Thank You.
Back to content